Thai blogger Phonchanok Srisunaklua was imprisoned after posting a video on YouTube showing her devouring a whole bat while eating soup.
The carcass and a few cherry tomatoes were used to make the soup. In the video, Phonchanok even referred to the flavor of the bat as “amazing.”
In the video, she also likens the dead bat to “eating raw flesh.” For the majority of viewers, the worst part was when the blogger dissected the animal and then dipped it in Nim Jam before eating it. The blogger can also be seen in the video claiming that the bat had delicate bones and teeth.
Netizens became alarmed as the video gained popularity and reported it. Many people have claimed that consuming and supporting the consumption of such animals may have detrimental effects on one’s health.
People in the comments section also connected eating the bat to the Covid-19 pandemic, noting its origin as a comparable incident. Police reports state that the YouTuber might receive a 5-year prison term. Phonchanok also received a 500,000 baht ($13,800) penalty.
On the internet, a lot of people connected the bat-eating incident to the start of the Covid-19 pandemic at the end of 2019. After watching the now-deleted video, a lot of people expressed disapproval on social media, causing quite a controversy. It was inappropriate, according to one person, and “vile” and “disgusting,” according to others.
Others thought the blogger had just released the video to get popularity and likes. One online user responded, saying:
Thailand teacher Phonchanok Srisunaklua is facing a 5-year prison term as well as a 500,000 baht fine. She is facing legal action in Thailand’s Sakhon Nakhon region for both violating the Computer Crimes Act and having the bodies of protected animals.
With more than 400,000 followers on social media, she claimed in the video that she wasn’t trying to spread the coronavirus. She continued by saying that many people eat bats and other animals in her region.
The video was widely circulated on social media because many people found it offensive and dangerous. Many claimed that the video was dangerous because a similar incident two years prior had caused a massive viral onslaught over the world. Additionally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned people not to eat bats due to several health issues when the video went viral.
The CDC contends that the bat could not have transmitted the disease because it had been cooked, contrary to the blogger’s assertion. Leading authorities have warned against eating bats and warned against even touching the saliva, blood, or skin.
Also Read: According To Evan Roberts, Every Women Is A Hero For Surviving Childbirth